IAS Syllabus 2021 (Prelims & Main)– UPSC provides the complete syllabus of IAS 2021 Prelims and Main exam. UPSC IAS 2021 syllabus contains subject-wise important topics. UPSC syllabus 2021 will soon be issued along with the official UPSC CSE notification. To crack the Civil Services Exam, candidates need to cover the entire UPSC IAS syllabus 2021. UPSC syllabus 2021 is same for services like the Indian Administrative Service, Indian Police Service, Indian Foreign Service, Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise). To know the important topics of UPSC 2021 syllabus, solve previous year’s UPSC papers.
IAS Prelims syllabus 2021 is different from main exam. UPSC prelims syllabus 2021 includes questions on general and societal awareness. However, IAS Mains syllabus is more comprehensive as it contains topics of nine theory papers. UPSC IAS 2020 Prelims is scheduled to be held on October 4, 2020. Candidates can download the IAS syllabus from the official website, upsc.gov.in or read the article to download the UPSC syllabus pdf for Prelims and Mains
IAS Syllabus 2021 (Prelims)
- UPSC Prelims syllabus 2021 for CSAT evaluates the candidate’s aptitude in solving questions on ‘Reasoning and Analytical’ questions, and ‘Decision Making’ questions.
- There is no negative marking for ‘Decision Making’ based questions.
IAS Prelims Syllabus 2020
|IAS Prelims Syllabus for GS Paper (Prelims Paper I)
- Current events of national & international
- Indian History and Indian National Movement.
- Indian & World Geography including Physical, Social, Economic Geography
- Indian Polity & Governance – Constitution, Public Policy, Panchayati Raj, Political System, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic & Social Development – Sustainable Development, Demographics, Poverty, Inclusion, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General problems on Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity & Climate Change
- General Science
|IAS Prelims Syllabus for CSAT Paper (Prelims Paper II)
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Decision-making and problem solving
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy of Class 10th level (numbers & their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) Data interpretation of Class 10th level (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc.)
IAS Syllabus 2021 (Mains)
- IAS Main 2021 exam evaluates the candidate’s academic talent in depth. Along with his/her ability to understand the requirements of the questions in a time-bound manner.
- There will be 9 papers, out of which two are qualifying papers of 300 marks each.
- Two language papers are qualifying in nature.
- Candidates have to attain 25% marks in both the language papers as a minimum qualifying marks
UPSC Mains Syllabus 2021
|Paper – I
||250 (Qualifying in nature)
|Paper – II
||IAS Main Syllabus 2021 for General Studies – I (Indian Heritage & Culture, History & Geography of the World & Society)
- Indian culture includes Literature, Art Forms, and Architecture from ancient to modern.
- Modern Indian history includes the significant events, personalities, problems during the middle of the eighteenth century until the present
- Important contributors & contributions from different parts of the country in ‘The Freedom Struggle’
- Post-independence consolidation & reorganization within the country
- World History includes events, forms & effect on the society from 18th century like world wars, colonization, industrial revolution, redrawal of national boundaries, decolonization, political philosophies such as communism, capitalism, socialism etc
- Diversity of India and Indian Society
- Role of women and women’s organization, poverty & developmental problems, population & associated problems, urbanization, their problems and remedies
- Social empowerment, regionalism, communalism, & secularism
- Distribution of natural resources across the world
- Effects of globalization on Indian society
- Important Geophysical phenomena
- Changes in critical geographical features and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes
- World’s physical geography
|Paper – III
||IAS Main Syllabus 2021 for General Studies – II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice & International Relations)
- Indian Constitution
- Functions and responsibilities of Union Territories and States, problems and challenges related to the federal structure
- Comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other countries
- Separation of powers between various organs dispute redressal mechanisms and institutions
- Parliament and State Legislatures
- Appointment to various Constitutional posts, functions and responsibilities
- Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary Ministries and Departments of the Government;
- Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and problems arising out of their design and implementation
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
- Welfare schemes by the Centre and States and their performance; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies
- Role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, charities, institutional and other stakeholders
- Problems relating to Social Sector, Health, Education, Human Resources
- Important aspects of governance
- Problems relating to poverty and hunger
- Role of civil services in a democracy
- Bilateral, regional and global groupings
- India and its neighborhood- relations
- Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries
|Paper – IV
||IAS Main Syllabus for General Studies – III (Technology, Economic Development, Biodiversity, Security & Disaster Management)
- Indian Economy and problems
- Government Budgeting
- Biodiversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management.
- Economics of animal-rearing.
- Inclusive growth and problems arising from it.
- Major crops cropping patterns
- Food processing and related industries
- Direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices
- Indian Land Reforms
- Investment Models
- Effects of liberalization on the economy
- Science and Technology
- Indigenization of technology
- Developing new technology
- Environmental pollution and degradation
- IT, Space, nano-technology, Computers, robotics, bio-technology
- Disaster and disaster management.
- Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security.
- Linkages between development and spread of extremism.
- Challenges to internal security through communication networks
- Different Security forces and agencies
- Security challenges and their management
|Paper – V
||IAS Main 2021 Syllabus for General Studies – IV (Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude)
- Ethics and Human Interface
- Human Values
- Civil Service
- Tolerance and compassion towards the weaker-sections
- Emotional intelligence-
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers
- Civil service values & Ethics in Public administration
- Probity in Governance
- Right to Information
- Citizen’s Charters
- Case Studies on mentioned problems
|Paper – VI
||Optional Subject – Paper I
|Paper – VII
||Optional Subject – Paper II
Along with the UPSC IAS syllabus 2021, candidates should also be aware of exam pattern. The Preliminary Examination is composed of two components:
||General Studies (GS)
||2 hours (9:30 AM to 11:30 AM)
||2 hours (2:30 PM to 4:30 PM)
Stay Connected to StudyGrades to know the IAS Syllabus 2021 for Prelims & Main!