IES Syllabus 2020-21- UPSC has released the IES exam syllabus 2020 for prelims and main exam. Candidates should have the details of ESE 2020 syllabus to prepare well for the exam. IES 2020 syllabus includes important topics that each aspirant should thoroughly prepare for the UPSC ESE 2020 exam. Candidates can download the IES syllabus 2020 pdf from the below link. Besides, the artcile contains the IES exam syllabus for Mechanical, Civil, Electrical and Electronics engineering. Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has conducted the Engineering Services Examination 2020 Prelims on January 5, 2020. IES Main 2020 exam is scheduled to be held on June 28, 2020. Main exam will be held in pen and paper mode. It will be descriptive exam. Hence, prepare all the topics of the ESE syllabus 2020. Also, check the UPSC ESE Exam Pattern to know the duration and total marks of papers. Candidates should start their preparation from today itself as the examination is becoming tougher day by day due to increasing number of applicants. Check the complete subject wise IES Syllabus 2020 below-
IES Syllabus 2020- 21 for General Studies & Engineering Aptitude
The questions from the following topics will be set in Paper-I
- Current issues of national and international importance relating to social, economic and industrial development
- Engineering Aptitude covering Logical reasoning and Analytical ability
- Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis
- General Principles of Design, Drawing, Importance of Safety
- Standards and Quality practices in production, construction, maintenance and services
- Basics of Energy and Environment : Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, Climate Change, Environmental impact assessment
- Basics of Project Management
- Basics of Material Science and Engineering
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) based tools and their applications in Engineering such as networking, e-governance and technology based education.
- Ethics and values in Engineering profession
Click Here to download the IES Syllabus PDF
IES Syllabus for Civil Engineering
ESE Syllabus 2020-21 for Civil Engineering (Paper-I)
|Design of Steel Structures||
|Design of Concrete and Masonry structures||
|Construction Practice, Planning and Management||
IES Syllabus 2020-21 for Civil Engineering (Paper-II)
1. Flow of Fluids, Hydraulic Machines and Hydro Power-
- Fluid Mechanics, Open Channel Flow, Pipe Flow: Fluid properties; Dimensional Analysis and Modeling; Fluid dynamics including flow kinematics and measurements; Flow net; Viscosity, Boundary layer and control, Drag, Lift, Principles in open channel flow, Flow controls. Hydraulic jump; Surges; Pipe networks.
- Hydraulic Machines and Hydro power – Various pumps, Air vessels, Power house – classification and layout, storage, pondage, control of supply; Hydraulic turbines – types, classifications & performance parameters;
2. Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering-
- Hydrological cycle, Ground water hydrology, Well hydrology and related data analysis; Streams and their gauging; River morphology; Flood, drought and their management; Capacity of Reservoirs.
- Water Resources Engineering- Multipurpose uses of Water, River basins and their potential; Irrigation systems, water demand assessment;
- Resources – storages and their yields; Water logging, Gravity dams, canal and drainage design, falls, weirs, Energy dissipaters, barrage Distribution works, Cross drainage works and head-works and their design;
- Concepts in canal design, construction & maintenance; River training, measurement and analysis of rainfall.
3. Environmental Engineering-
- Water Supply Engineering: Sources, Estimation, quality standards and testing of water and their treatment; Rural, Institutional and industrial water supply; Pollutants in water and its effects, Physical, chemical and biological characteristics and sources of water, Estimation of water demand; Drinking water Standards, Water Treatment Plants, Water distribution networks.
- Waste Water Engineering: Planning & design of domestic waste water, sewage collection and disposal; Plumbing Systems. Components and layout of sewerage system; Planning & design of Domestic Waste-water disposal system; Sludge management including treatment, disposal and re-use of treated effluents; Industrial waste waters and Effluent Treatment Plants including institutional and industrial sewage management.
- Solid Waste Management: Sources & classification of solid wastes along with planning & design of its management system; Disposal system, Beneficial aspects of wastes and Utilization by Civil Engineers.
- Air, Noise pollution and Ecology: Concepts & general methodology.
4. Geo-technical Engineering and Foundation Engineering-
- Geo-technical Engineering: Soil exploration – planning & methods, Properties of soil, classification, various tests and inter-relationships; Permeability & Seepage, Compressibility, consolidation and Shearing resistance, Earth pressure theories and stress distribution in soil; Properties and uses of geo-synthetics
- Foundation Engineering: Types of foundations & selection criteria, bearing capacity, settlement analysis, design and testing of shallow & deep foundations; Slope stability analysis, Earthen embankments, Dams and Earth retaining structures: types, analysis and design, Principles of ground modifications.
5. Surveying and Geology-
- Surveying: Classification of surveys, elevation and directions, various methodologies, instruments & analysis of measurement of distances, Field astronomy; Global Positioning System; Survey Layout for culverts, canals, bridges, road/railway alignment and buildings, Setting out of Curves, Map preparation; Photogrammetry; Remote sensing concepts;
- Geology: Basic knowledge of Engineering geology & its application in projects.
6. Transportation Engineering-
- Highways – Planning & construction methodology, Alignment and geometric design; Traffic Surveys and Controls; Principles of Flexible and Rigid pavements design.
- Tunneling – Alignment, methods of construction, disposal of muck, drainage, lighting and ventilation.
- Railways Systems – Terminology, Planning, designs and maintenance practices; track modernization.
- Harbours – Terminology, layouts and planning.
- Airports – Layout, planning & design.
IES Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering
ESE Syllabus 2020-21 for Mechanical Engineering (Paper-I)
- Fluid Mechanics: Basic Concepts and Properties of Fluids, Manometry, Fluid Statics, Buoyancy, Equations of Motion, Bernoulli’s equation and applications, Viscous flow of incompressible fluids, Laminar and Turbulent flows, Flow through pipes and head losses in pipes.
- Thermodynamics and Heat transfer: Thermodynamic systems and processes; properties of pure substance; Zeroth, First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics; Entropy, Irreversibility and availability; analysis of thermodynamic cycles related to energy conversion: Rankine, Otto, Diesel and Dual Cycles; ideal and real gases; compressibility factor; Gas mixtures. Modes of heat transfer, Steady and unsteady heat conduction, Thermal resistance, Fins, Free and forced convection, Correlations for convective heat transfer, Radiative heat transfer – Radiation heat transfer coefficient; boiling and condensation, Heat exchanger performance analysis
- IC Engines, Refrigeration and Air conditioning: SI and CI Engines, Engine Systems and Components, Performance characteristics and testing of IC Engines; Fuels; Emissions and Emission Control. Vapour compression refrigeration, Refrigerants and Working cycles, Compressors, Condensers, Evaporators and Expansion devices, Other types of refrigeration systems like Vapour Absorption, Vapour jet, thermo electric and Vortex tube refrigeration. Psychometric properties and processes, Comfort chart, Comfort and industrial air conditioning, Load calculations and Heat pumps.
- Turbo Machinery: Reciprocating and Rotary pumps, Pelton wheel, Kaplan and Francis Turbines, velocity diagrams, Impulse and Reaction principles, Steam and Gas Turbines, Theory of Jet Propulsion – Pulse jet and Ram Jet Engines, Reciprocating and Rotary Compressors – Theory and Applications
- Power Plant Engineering: Rankine and Brayton cycles with regeneration and reheat, Fuels and their properties, Flue gas analysis, Boilers, steam turbines and other power plant components like condensers, air ejectors, electrostatic precipitators and cooling towers – their theory and design, types and applications;
- Renewable Sources of Energy: Solar Radiation, Solar Thermal Energy collection – Flat Plate and focusing collectors their materials and performance. Solar Thermal Energy Storage, Applications – heating, cooling and Power Generation; Solar Photovoltaic Conversion; Harnessing of Wind Energy, Bio-mass and Tidal Energy – Methods and Applications, Working principles of Fuel Cells.
IES Syllabus 2020-21 for Mechanical Engineering (Paper-II)
- Engineering Mechanics: Analysis of System of Forces, Friction, Centroid and Centre of Gravity, Dynamics; Stresses and Strains-Compound Stresses and Strains, Bending Moment and Shear Force Diagrams, Theory of Bending Stresses-Slope and deflection-Torsion, Thin and thick Cylinders, Spheres.
- Engineering Materials: Basic Crystallography, Alloys and Phase diagrams, Heat Treatment, Ferrous and Non Ferrous Metals, Non metallic materials, Basics of Nano-materials, Mechanical Properties and Testing, Corrosion prevention and control
- Mechanisms and Machines: Types of Kinematics Pair, Mobility, Inversions, Kinematic Analysis, Velocity and Acceleration Analysis of Planar Mechanisms, CAMs with uniform acceleration and retardation, cycloidal motion, oscillating followers; Vibrations –Free and forced vibration of undamped and damped SDOF systems, Transmissibility Ratio, Vibration Isolation, Critical Speed of Shafts. Gears – Geometry of tooth profiles, Law of gearing, Involute profile, Interference, Helical, Spiral and Worm Gears, Gear Trains- Simple, compound and Epicyclic; Dynamic Analysis – Slider – crank mechanisms, turning moment computations, balancing of Revolving & Reciprocating masses, Gyroscopes –Effect of Gyroscopic couple on automobiles, ships and aircrafts, Governors.
- Design of Machine Elements: Design for static and dynamic loading; failure theories; fatigue strength and the S-N diagram; principles of the design of machine elements such as riveted, welded and bolted joints. Shafts, Spur gears, rolling and sliding contact bearings, Brakes and clutches, flywheels.
- Manufacturing, Industrial and Maintenance Engineering: Metal casting-Metal forming, Metal Joining, Machining and machine tool operations, Limits, fits and tolerances, Metrology and inspection, computer Integrated manufacturing, FMS, Production planning and Control, Inventory control and operations research – CPM-PERT. Failure concepts and characteristics-Reliability, Failure analysis, Machine Vibration, Data acquisition, Fault Detection, Vibration Monitoring, Field Balancing of Rotors, Noise Monitoring, Wear and Debris Analysis, Signature Analysis, NDT Techniques in Condition Monitoring.
- Mechatronics and Robotics: Microprocessors and Microcontrollers: Architecture, programming, I/O, Computer interfacing, Programmable logic controller. Sensors and actuators, Piezoelectric accelerometer, Hall effect sensor, Optical Encoder, Resolver, Inductosyn, Pneumatic and Hydraulic actuators, stepper motor, Control Systems- Mathematical modeling of Physical systems, control signals, controllability and observability. Robotics, Robot Classification, Robot Specification, notation; Direct and Inverse Kinematics; Homogeneous Coordinates and Arm Equation of four Axis SCARA Robot
IES Syllabus for Electrical Engineering
ESE Syllabus 2020-21 for Electrical Engineering (Paper-I)
- Engineering Mathematics- Matrix theory, Eigen values & Eigen vectors, system of linear equations, Numerical methods for solution of non-linear algebraic equations and differential equations, integral calculus, partial derivatives, maxima and minima, Line, Surface and Volume Integrals. Fourier series, linear, nonlinear and partial differential equations, initial and boundary value problems, complex variables, Taylor’s and Laurent’s series, residue theorem, probability and statistics fundamentals, Sampling theorem, random variables, Normal and Poisson distributions, correlation and regression analysis.
- Electrical Materials– Electrical Engineering Materials, crystal structures and defects, ceramic materials, insulating materials, magnetic materials – basics, properties and applications; ferrities, ferro-magnetic materials and components; basics of solid state physics, conductors; Photo-conductivity; Basics of Nano materials and Superconductors
- Electric Circuits and Fields Circuit elements, network graph, KCL, KVL, Node and Mesh analysis, ideal current and voltage sources, Thevenin’s, Norton’s, Superposition and Maximum Power Transfer theorems, transient response of DC and AC networks, Sinusoidal steady state analysis, basic filter concepts, two-port networks, three phase circuits, Magnetically coupled circuits, Gauss Theorem, electric field and potential due to point, line, plane and spherical charge distributions, Ampere’s and Biot-Savart’s laws; inductance, dielectrics, capacitance; Maxwell’s equations.
- Electrical and Electronic Measurements: Principles of measurement, accuracy, precision and standards; Bridges and potentiometers; moving coil, moving iron, dynamometer and induction type instruments, measurement of voltage, current, power, energy and power factor, instrument transformers, digital voltmeters and multi-meters, phase, time and frequency measurement, Q-meters, oscilloscopes, potentiometric recorders, error analysis, Basics of sensors, Transducers, basics of data acquisition systems
- Computer Fundamentals: Number systems, Boolean algebra, arithmetic functions, Basic Architecture, Central Processing Unit, I/O and Memory Organisation; peripheral devices, data represenation and programming, basics of Operating system and networking, virtual memory, file systems; Elements of programming languages, typical examples
- Basic Electronics Engineering: Basics of Semiconductor diodes and transistors and characteristics, Junction and field effect transistors (BJT, FET and MOSFETS), different types of transistor amplifiers, equivalent circuits and frequency response; oscillators and other circuits, feedback amplifiers.
IES Syllabus 2020-21 for Electrical Engineering (Paper-I)
- Analog and Digital Electronics- Operational amplifiers – characteristics and applications, combinational and sequential logic circuits, multiplexers, multi-vibrators, sample and hold circuits, A/D and D/A converters, basics of filter circuits and applications, simple active filters; Microprocessor basics- interfaces and applications, basics of linear integrated circuits; Analog communication basics, Modulation and demodulation, noise and bandwidth, transmitters and receivers, signal to noise ratio, digital communication basics, sampling, quantizing, coding, frequency and time domain multiplexing, power line carrier communication systems
- Systems and Signal Processing- Representation of continuous and discrete-time signals, shifting and scaling operations, linear, time-invariant and causal systems, Fourier series representation of continuous periodic signals, sampling theorem, Fourier and Laplace transforms, Z transforms, Discrete Fourier transform, FFT, linear convolution, discrete cosine transform, FIR filter, IIR filter, bilinear transformation
- Control Systems- Principles of feedback, transfer function, block diagrams and signal flow graphs, steady-state errors, transforms and their applications; Routh-hurwitz criterion, Nyquist techniques, Bode plots, root loci, lag, lead and lead-lag compensation, stability analysis, transient and frequency response analysis, state space model, state transition matrix, controllability and observability, linear state variable feedback, PID and industrial controllers
- Electrical Machines- Single phase transformers, three phase transformers – connections, parallel operation, auto-transformer, energy conversion principles, DC machines – types, windings, generator characteristics, armature reaction and commutation, starting and speed control of motors, Induction motors – principles, types, performance characteristics, starting and speed control, Synchronous machines – performance, regulation, parallel operation of generators, motor starting, characteristics and applications, servo and stepper motors
- Power Systems- Basic power generation concepts, steam, gas and water turbines, transmission line models and performance, cable performance, insulation, corona and radio interference, power factor correction, symmetrical components, fault analysis, principles of protection systems, basics of solid state relays and digital protection; Circuit breakers, Radial and ring-main distribution systems, Matrix representation of power systems, load flow analysis, voltage control and economic operation, System stability concepts, Swing curves and equal area criterion. HVDC transmission and FACTS concepts, Concepts of power system dynamics, distributed generation, solar and wind power, smart grid concepts, environmental implications, fundamentals of power economics
- Power Electronics and Drives- Semiconductor power diodes, transistors, thyristors, triacs, GTOs, MOSFETs and IGBTs – static characteristics and principles of operation, triggering circuits, phase control rectifiers, bridge converters – fully controlled and half controlled, principles of choppers and inverters, basis concepts of adjustable speed dc and ac drives, DC-DC switched mode converters, DC-AC switched mode converters, resonant converters, high frequency inductors and transformers, power supplies.
IES Syllabus for ECE
ESE Syllabus 2020-21 for Electronics & Communication (Paper I)
|Basic Electronics Engineering||
|Basic Electrical Engineering||
|Electronic Measurements and Instrumentation||
|Analog and Digital Circuits||
IES Syllabus 2020-21 for Electronics & Communication (Paper II)
|Analog and Digital Communication Systems||
|Computer Organization and Architecture||
|Advanced Electronics Topics||
|Advanced Communication Topics||
Stay Connected With StudyGrades for latest updates on IES Syllabus 2021..!!