SBI PO Exam Preparation Tips 2019- Banking Industry is the fastest growing sector of the Indian economy and it is providing a well-paid and secure job to the thousands of aspirants every year. And among all the commercial banks of India, SBI (State Bank of India) is a most preferred bank. It’s always a dream to work as SBI PO (Probationary Officer) and to fulfill that dream; I’m going to tell you the tit-bits of this prestigious exam that will help you to crack it in your very first attempt. To crack SBI PO 2019, candidates should check the subject-wise SBI PO Exam Preparation Tips 2019 here. Let’s start with the examination pattern.
SBI PO Exam Preparation Tips 2019
SBI PO Exam Pattern 2019– An Overview
SBI PO exam is conducted every year in the following 3 phases:
- Preliminary Exam
- Mains Exam
- GD (Group Discussion) and PI (Personal Interview)
Phase 1- SBI PO Prelims
In this phase of the exam, there are 100 questions of 1 mark each and the composite time of 1 hour. It consists of the following 3 sections:
|Sections||No. of questions||Marks Distribution|
As the time is very less and you need to give your best, time management and picking the right question is the key to success. Only on qualifying this phase you’ll be called for phase-2 exam.
Phase 2- SBI PO Main
Objective Test (200 questions of 1 mark each in the composite time of 2 hours
|Section||No. of questions||Marks Distribution|
|Data Interpretation and Analysis||50||50|
|General Awareness, Marketing and Computer Science||50||50|
Descriptive Test (50 Marks of 1 hour duration): To test your basic knowledge and writing skills of English as a language consisting questions like Essay and Letter writing. It will immediately begin after the completion of Objective type test.
Only on clearing the individual cut-off of both these tests and combined cut-off, you’ll be called for Phase-3.
Phase 3- GD and PI:
|Group Discussion||20 Marks|
|Personal Interview||30 Marks|
Final merit will be based on total marks of Phase 2 and Phase 3 in the ratio of 70:30 respectively.
SBI PO Exam Preparation Tips 2019- Know the SBI PO Syllabus
We’ll break it into two parts:
- Less time consuming and Easy- Syllogism, Inequality, Coding/Decoding, Blood Relation, Direction Sense, Alphabetical/Numeric or mixed Series, Data Sufficiency
- Time consuming and Tricky- Sitting Arrangement (Linear, Circular, Floor, Rectangular), Puzzle, Input/Output, Statement Analysis (Assumption, Course of Action etc.)
We’ll break it into three parts:
- Simplification and Approximation, Equation Solving, Number Series, Data Sufficiency
- Data Interpretation and Analysis (Line Chart, Pie Chart, Bar Chart, Radar Chart, Table, Mixed)
- Miscellaneous (Average, Age based problems, Percentage, Ratio and Proportion, Time, Speed and Distance, Time and Work, Profit/Loss, SI/CI, Allegation, Partnership, Probability, Mensuration etc.)
It consists of the following topics:
- Fill in the blanks (Single or Double fillers), Error Detection, Error Correction, Mis-Spelt and Inappropriate, Phrase Replacement
- Cloze Test
- Reading comprehension
- Rearrangement of Sentences
General Awareness, Marketing and Computer:
|Current Affairs (With Special Reference to Banking Industry)||25 questions|
SBI PO Exam Preparation Tips 2019- Possible Strategy to Conquer Each Phase
First things first, so let’s begin with best time management strategy for SBI PO 2019 exam
R+Q+E — 20+25+15 (Time in Minutes)
R+DI+GA+E — 40+40+15+25 (Time in Minutes)
- Q-Quantitative Aptitude
- DI-Data Interpretation and Analysis
- GA-General Awareness
Note: You can adjust time according to your mastery in a section. This analysis is for an Average Student.
Now, let’s know how to tackle each section in SBI PO exam
Start with “A” and then go to “B”, if time allows. Attempts should be of same order as mentioned above.
Most of the people fear from this section and find it difficult. Though the questions asked in this section are of good level, but following this sequence you can easily get most in lesser time:
A->B and then go to “C”, if time allows.
In Mains, the most questions come from DI section so you need to practice it well.
Attempt TABLE at first, if the data provided is not much calculative and then follow this sequence:
LINE CHART->BAR GRAPH->PIE CHART->RADAR CHART->MIXED DI
SBI has introduced a new trend of “Missing data type Table” DI, you’ll have to attempt it carefully, one mistake and whole data will become erroneous, resulting wastage of time and negative marks.
English is a high scoring section that takes lesser time than other sections but it provides more negative marks too.
i). If your grammar portion is strong, follow this sequence:
A->B and then go for “C” and “D”.
ii). If you’re not good in grammar, attempt “A” after attempting other parts.
- Not strong at Reading Comprehension?
- Attempt Antonyms and Synonyms section and move on.
- Face problems in Rearrangement of sentences?
- Find FAST and LAST sentence, mark the options and move on, don’t waste time.
Note: Here A, B, C, D are the parts of each section among which the Sections are broken.
General Awareness (Only in Mains)-
- Prepare last 3-4 months current affairs from different sites and read newspaper daily with special focus on Banking, National, International, Sports news.
- Some Static questions like State and Capital, Chief Minister, Governor, Country’s Capital and Currency (Recently in News), Government and its policies, Union minister’s Department and Constituency, Dams, Power Plants, National Parks, Dates and Days etc.
- Buy Arihant’s Magazine for marketing section and understand the basic terminologies and concepts.
- For computer section, attempt daily quizzes of different websites or buy a book, and understand the concepts.
At last, to apply these strategies in the real exam, take one Speed Test (Mock Test) daily, and sharp your time management skills. Only practicing will take you to your dream, enjoying life as a SBI PO.
Note: These strategies are based upon the real experience of the writer. These may vary person to person. Take it only as guidance.
Stay Connected With StudyGrades for latest updates on SBI PO Exam Preparation Tips 2019..!!