How to become a lawyer in India?: The law is designed to prevent peace and crime in society and the lawyer’s duty to lead and assist the nation. A lawyer has to obtain a degree in law for licensed to practice in a specific field. A lawyer is also called an advocate, barrister, attorney, solicitor, counsellor or counsel. Having a degree of LL.B (Bachelor of Laws) doesn’t mean, you are eligible to legislate cases in the court for this you have to clear the exam which commenced by the Government. The lawyer has excellent knowledge of Law which lights up the community. Candidates can use their degree of LL.B as a fundamental of careers in various areas.
Who is a lawyer?
A lawyer is an experienced practitioner who completed a degree in law and guides on legal issues. To debate in the court, the candidate must pass the BCI (Bar Council of India) exam and after that, he has the right to stand in any court to protect the rights of his clients. The role of a lawyer varies in a different jurisdiction. After earning the degree of law, there are several career options.
Eligibility Criteria to become a Lawyer in India
A lawyer is a safeguard of the laws, being a lawyer candidate must know of the constitution of laws and society. Here, we have mentioned below the eligibility requirements for lawyers.
- Candidates need to pursue an LL.B course, it is the crucial course to be a lawyer and you must have to qualify with the same.
- After intermediate candidates who belong to any stream can go for an LL.B course which is for 5 years.
- After graduation, it takes only 3 years to complete the course.
- Those candidates who have a degree in a diploma or other certificate courses can not pursue the course of LL.B
Candidates can make their career in such types of categories which is mentioned below.
- Cyber Law
- Civil Law
- Tax Law
- Banking Law
- Constitutional Law
- Media Law
- Criminal Law
- Business Law
- Environmental Law
- Real Estate Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Labour & Employment Law
- Competition Law
- Corporate Law
- International Law
Lawyer: Top Laws Institute
There is an immense career scope in law. To be a good lawyer, candidates need to choose good colleges or institutes to enhance their knowledge. Here some of the prime institutes listed below.
- National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore
- Nalsar University of Law (NLU), Hyderabad
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata
- National Law University, Jodhpur
- The National Law Institute University (NLIU), Bhopal
- ILS Law College, Pune
- The National University of Advanced Legal Studies (NUALS), Kochi
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi
- Aligarh Muslim University (AMU)
Lawyer: Institute Fee Structure
The following fee format has been mentioned in the table which is given below.
|Campus for Law||Fee Configuration for Law Students||Course Name|
|National Law School of India University, Banglore||Rs. 8.70 Lakh||B.A LL.B|
|Nalsar University of Law, Hyderabad||Rs. 10.60 Lakh||B.A LL.B|
|Army Institute of Law, Mohali||Rs. 4.36 Lakh||B.A LL.B|
|School of Law, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun||Rs. 2.44 Lakh||LL.M|
|GITAM School of Law, Visakhapatnam||Rs. 1.05 Lakh||LL.M|
|Chandigarh University||Rs. 94 K||LL.M|
Lawyer: Employment Opportunity
These are the following sectors where candidates can try for job postings such as legal advisor. Some of the best sectors given below.
- Engineering firms
- Political Parties
- Consulting firms
- Media & Entertainment House
- Finance Companies
- Universities and College
- Corporate Business
- Information Technology Companies
Lawyer: Job Profile
Lawyers have various types of job roles, they can opt for interesting jobs in the specialised sector. Some of the jobs profile referred below.
- Family Lawyers
- Legal Assistance
- Environmental Lawyers
- Tax Lawyers
- Securities Lawyers
- Immigration Lawyers
- Criminal Lawyers
- Personal Injury Lawyer
Salary of a Lawyer in India
The salary of a lawyer in India depends upon the corporate corporations and the position of a lawyer. We have shared some of the basic range of salary indicated below.
|Job Titles||Average Salaries for Related Job Title|
|Lawyer||Rs. 7-8 lakh|
|Attorney||Rs. 27 Lakhs|
|General Counsel||Rs. 3,265 lakh|
|Associate Attorney||Rs. 30 K|
|Associate Lawyer||Rs. 35 K|
Lawyer’s duties are not easy, they have various responsibilities of their nation and community. These are the following responsibilities of the lawyer mentioned below.
- Reading witness statement
- Providing legal suggestion and guidance
- Punctual/ attending court hearings
- Meeting clients
- Writing Contracts
- Defining clients in rehearsals
- Researching case studies
- Keeping up to date with changing in the law
Required Skills to become a Lawyer in India after 12th
The lawyer should be active and matured towards their work. They should acquire some ability to get success in their career which is mentioned below.
- Interest in details
- Good presentation skills
- Good intellectual
- Proficiency to argue in a topic
- Convincing Skills
- Strong command over the language
- Interest in research
- Mental & physical stamina
- Fluency and transparency in speech
- Good judgment of the situation
Stay connected with studygrades for more careers options!